Marketing Communications Professional
Marketing that Communicates with style~distinction~class~wit~grace~elegance~enthusiasm & fun!
in strategizing, planning and implementing advertising and public
relations campaigns, negotiating media buys, developing collateral, web
sites, direct response, promotions and special events. Personal
strengths in organization, planning, leadership, management,
initiative, tenacity and innovation; conversant in Spanish.
accomplishments in negotiating rates, positions and value-added
merchandising opportunities, generating incremental revenue,
establishing parameters for budget efficiencies, designing and
executing innovative marketing programs as well as producing
PROFESSIONAL HISTORY & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
CHEZHELVETICA, San Francisco, California 2005-Present
Marketing Communications Consulting
Manage, develop and implement marketing plans, brand positioning, ad
copy, public relations initiatives, web site direction, sponsorship
growth and event execution. Clients include consumer package goods
company Puripan. Blue Turtle Spa, and non-profits Slow Food SF,
Zinfandel Advocates & Producers (ZAP), Black Rock Arts Foundation
and Rex Foundation.
McGUIRE FURNITURE COMPANY (HQ ), San Francisco, California 1992-2004
Manufacturer of designer furniture, lighting, textiles and accessories
Subsidiary of Kohler Company, Kohler, WI
Director, Advertising and Promotions
• Developed, managed and implemented the corporate strategic plan for all marketing communications.
• Led in-house advertising agency, planning and buying all media.
Obtained up to 40% savings on advertising rates while also securing
positions within first third of books or in coveted franchise positions.
• Directed advertising creative development including photo shoots,
working with outside vendors. Garnered industry and target audience
acclaim reinforcing McGuire's premium position in the marketplace.
Built editorial coverage through public relations efforts, growing
• Negotiated value-added merchandising programs. Generated up to
$35,000 in incremental furniture sales by participating in magazine
• Planned, developed and coordinated promotions and special events.
Achieved record attendance of nearly 500 guests for Grand Opening Party.
• Directed development of corporate web sites generating $20,000+ annually in collateral sales.
ª Developed marketing/sales support materials for domestic and
international efforts. Initiated and produced a monthly newsletter to
educate sales associates.
• Managed direct response efforts including new database organization;
supervised fulfillment to achieve record turn-around times.
• Monitored department budget implementing a cost per project
accounting system. Saved the company $15,000 annually by bringing 800#
GUMP'S (HQ), San Francisco, California 1989-1992
Director of Advertising
•Directed all facets of the in-house advertising agency supervising
three designers, outside broadcast and public relations agencies,
freelancers and vendors
• Planned and scheduled all retail communications working with buyers.
Designed a cooperative advertising program and presented it to vendors
successfully obtaining increased dollars.
• Planned and bought media negotiating best possible rates and positions.
• Designed and executed cross merchandising marketing programs such as
bridal events, generating increased revenues for the jewelry, china,
crystal and silver departments. Served as leader to all department
• Developed a calendar of events featuring special store promotions resulting in increased store traffic.
• Maintained monthly accrual reports achieving budget projections each year.
FURTHER EXPERIENCE - ROYAL VIKING LINE, Worldwide Cruise Line, San Francisco
• Established and managed a top-producing travel agents' club which
resulted in a 15% increase in business in its first year
• Implemented shipboard/shoreside familiarization programs/seminars
• Supervised sales support services
• Produced and distributed a 15-title film and video library culminating in seven awards worldwide
• Liaised “Love Boat” production for four programs coordinating the
shipboard activity of 100+ producers, directors, actors and film crew
• Participated in executive board for past passenger/loyalty club communications
Graduate Studies: Advertising, Marketing Management
Golden Gate University
B.S. CUM LAUDE Spanish, English, Education (final quarter abroad in Spain)
The Ohio State University
Board Member: Philanthropy by Design (PR Chair)
Member: MENG (Marketing Executives Networking Group); San Francisco
Professional Food Society (Events and Marketing committees)
Volunteer: Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, Dining by Design, CUESA
“Kathy was one of the two most effective department heads in the company”
Charles Dishman, Vice President Marketing, Gump's